The LAPD Pacific Area, which includes Westchester, Playa del Rey, Playa Vista, Venice, Mar Vista, Del Rey and Palms, has the highest level of property crime in the City of Los Angeles.
Please take steps to not become a victim.
· Keep all doors and windows locked at night and every time you leave your home.
· If you have a home alarm system – USE IT.
· Use doors that feature wide-angle peepholes at heights everyone can use.
· If you have glass panels near or in doors, make sure glass is reinforced so they cannot be shattered.
· Make sure the door leading from the attached garage to the house is solid wood or metal-clad and protected with a quality keyed door lock and deadbolt.
· Lock the overhead garage door - do not just rely on an automatic door opener.
· Make sure sliding glass doors have strong, working key locks.
· Store firearms unloaded and locked in a gun safe and secured with trigger guard locks.
· Inscribe valuable items, such as televisions, stereos and computers with your Driver’s License Number.
· Have an up-to-date home inventory that includes pictures. Keep a complete copy somewhere outside of the house.
· Never leave a message on your answering machine that indicates you may be away from home. And do not annouce on Facebook or other social networking sites that you are away from home.
· If you hear an intruder while at home, leave safely if you can, then call police. If you can't leave, lock yourself in a room with a phone and call police.
· Trim all shrubbery that could conceal criminal activity near doors and windows.
· Consider using timed interior lights and outdoor timed or motion lights to make your home appear occupied when you are away.
· If you park your car outside, never leave a garage door opener inside your vehicle.
· Start or participate in a Neighborhood Watch program.
Lock your car and do not leave belongings and electronic devices in plain sight - Lock it - Hide it - Keep it.